Monday, October 30, 2006

Hello.

As from the about page on my website:

"Hailing from the Washington School of Photography in Washington, D.C., Sarah Lane's childhood love affair with photography continues today in her work. Sarah's penchant attention to detail and technical focus create crisp, modern photography with albums to match."

As you can see, it has been annoyingly difficult to talk about myself and my work. I am typically circumspect, particularly about myself -- probably from being so shy as a kid!

In my point of view, what's to say? There are many photographers, both amateur and professional. We're all in love with the visual image, and all love photographing things, places, and people that interest us, using the camera to express our worldview. However, as a professional artist, it is important to discuss what really drives me to produce, what photography really means to me.

So, here goes.

I am a photographer. I love nearly everything about photography - using the camera as my voice, using the camera as a vehicle for my viewpoint, using the camera to capture beauty. I love color. I love line, shape, shadow. I love people. I love urban bustle, bucolic rural scenes, and interesting and exquisite architecture.

I truly did fall in love with photography as a kid, and spent most of my high school years in the darkroom. With no money and even less time in college and graduate school, photography was an unfortunate casualty, only revived after much soul-searching and asking the all-important question, "when was I the happiest?" A few years later, I introduced the "new" me, following a career re-vamp, and study with the Washington School of Photography. Now in the digital era, I shoot with high-end equipment, and "develop" and "process" sitting in my desk chair. Definitely a far cry from smelling like chemicals.

Over the past few years, I have realized something new about myself -- I love weddings. I love everything about weddings, from the excitement of preparation, to the exhilaration of the first dance, to the hugs and tears of the end of the day. Even more, I love photographing weddings - capturing the excitement and joy of a very special day. Being a part of the magic is such a special treat, and I'm so glad that I get to share such joy with so many people.

No comments: